Grilled Chicken with Spinach and Wild RiceCourse: LunchDifficulty: Easy
Full of flavor, this is a tasty single-dish meal. The rub adds a good amount of spice to the dish, but not overwhelming or “hot.” By finishing in a skillet, everything comes together – the nuttiness of the wild rice, the depth of the spinach, and the tangy grill flavor of the chicken.
boneless chicken thighs (I cooked two packs – about 4 to 5 pounds – in order to have several for leftovers)
1 cup Adams Reserve Cowboy Campfire Rub
1 Tbsp dill
1 1/2 cups wild rice, uncooked
fresh spinach leaves
2 Tbsp butter
salt & ground pepper to taste
- Place chicken thighs in a 13-inch glass dish.
- In a small bowl, mix the Cowboy Campfire and dill. *Note: feel free to experiment here. A small amount of a citrus spice would be a nice addition, for example, to the smoky flavors from the campfire spices.
- Spread the spice mix across the chicken thighs. Using clean hands or some tongs, mix the spice into the chicken, making sure all the pieces are covered well.
- Cover the chicken and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- After the time has passed, remove the chick and place on a counter to come up closer to room temperature.
- Prepare a grill, making sure to get a nice bed of coals.
- When the grill is ready, place the chicken over the coals and cook, turning every few minutes and watching for flareups. Cook till inside of the thighs is at 165 deg (F).
- Remove and place in clean dish. Cover with foil.
- Add rice to a 2-quart pot, along with 3 cups water. *Note: you can substitute chicken broth for the water
- Cook according to rice instructions. This should be something like: bring to boil, cover and reduce flame to its lowest temperature. Simmer for 15-17 minutes.
- Using a 10-12 inch skillet, add butter and melt over low flame.
- Scoop about half the cooked rice to the skillet. Stir into butter, coating the rice evenly.
- Add about a handful of fresh spinach, tearing into uneven pieces. Mix into the rice.
- Cut three or four pieces of grilled chicken and add to the rice mix. Stir well.
- Stir over low flame for one or two minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
- There is enough of the prepared ingredients to make for at least one round of leftovers.