From the man, the myth, the legend – Scottie Mac.
This is enough for 10-12 bowl size servings.
If doubling for a big batch, maybe don’t double the flour and oil, go with about 2 cups of each
1.25 cups vegetable oil
1.25 cups flour
1.5 cups diced onion
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced bell pepper
Garlic – i’m heavy handed here, i dunno, 5-6 cloves
1/4 cup tomato sauce
3 quarts crawfish stock, shrimp stock, or seafood stock
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped parsley
sea salt, fresh ground pepper, & red pepper flakes – to taste
On a Stove Top
- ON STOVE TOP:
In a big magnalite, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add flour and, stir continuously using a wire whisk or a wooden spoon (i go for a medium brown roux).
- Add onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic and sauté until all are wilted, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, blending well into vegetable mixture.
- Slowly add crawfish stock a little at a time until you achieve a sauce-like consistency. (Additional stock may be needed during the cooking process).
- Bring to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer, add crawfish tails, and add stuffed crawfish heads(if you’re stuffing heads).
- Stir well into the mixture and simmer 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add green onions and parsley at the end, I also add fresh chives, and a capful of vinegar, plus the juice from one lemon.