The Occupy movement’s nebulous, disorganized point seems to be centered around anger at corporate profits, pro-environmental stances, class warfare, and a push for redistribution of wealth.
South Park commented on the anti-corporate movement years ago, most pointedly in the “Die Hippie, Die” episode (season 9, episode 2).
Over the years, South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone have been a great source of cultural criticism, producing many episodes that are pertinent to some of the claims made by #occupiers. I figured I’d make a quick list of these episodes:
- Season 2, episode 17, “Gnomes“
- Season 3, episode 1, “Rainforest Shmainforest“
- Season 8, episode 9, “Something Wall Mart This Way Comes“
- Season 9, episode 2, “Die Hippie, Die“
- Season 9, episode 8, “Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow” (hysterical commentary on the “global warming caused Katrina” BS)
- Season 10, episode 2, “Smug Alert“
- Season 13, episode 13, “Dances with Smurfs” (great take on the Glenn Beck show)